The Lamon House is a Greek Revival Cottage built in 1850 by
Joseph and Melissa Beckwith Lamon. The Lamon House
is believed to be the oldest frame house in the Danville Area.
Joseph is the cousin of Ward Hill Lamon,
Lincoln's law partner and
bodyguard. Melissa is
the daughter of Dan Beckwith, who Danville is named for.
The home originally stood near downtown Danville
on North Street, but was moved to its present location in
Lincoln Park and was completely restored in the early 1980's.
The house is open Sundays from
1:30 to 4:30 (May thru October) or by appointment.
Author Bob O'Connor will be joining us again during "Arts In The Park"
(June 25th and 26th). Bob will be presenting Ward Hill Lamon
and have his books "The Virginian Who Might Have Saved Lincoln
and "The Life of Abraham Lincoln as President" available.
Join Bob on Friday June 24th, at the
Danville Public Library at 3 P.M.
for the presentation of Bob's latest book "The Murphy Farm:
A Refuge, From Racism".
The Murphy Farm was already considered hallowed ground
when the members of the Niagara Movement in 1906 removed
their shoes to visit the engine house where John Brown was
captured following his unsuccessful raid on Harpers Ferry
in October 1859.
But the land was hallowed even before that, as troops from
both the Union and the Confederacy crossed the land
located just south of U.S. 340 near the entrance to the
Harpers Ferry KOA Campground. Today the ground is part of
Harpers Ferry National Historical Park.